If you run more than one WordPress install, or if you have clients that run WordPress sites that you’re responsible for, then you know how much of a pain it can be to log in to each site every time you need to do things like update plugins, themes, or WordPress core itself.
With the release of WordPress 3.0, we now have the ability to create a network of WordPress sites with one installation through the multisite feature. However, your needs may go beyond what multisite allows you to do, and so you may need to explore other options.
Fortunately, there are a number of solutions out there that will let you manage multiple WordPress websites from one central location. In this article, I’ll share some options with you and give you a brief overview of each.
WP Remote is a simple and free solution that will allow you to do a few basic tasks related to managing multiple WordPress sites.
While you do need to install the WP Remote plugin for each WordPress installation, your administration panel for managing your sites is in one central location on the WP Remote site.
Here’s a look at the simple control panel on the WP Remote site:
WP Remote Features
- Bulk update all WordPress installations
- Create off-site backups
- Update plugins that can be updated via the WordPress plugin page
- Update themes that can be updated via the WordPress themes page
InfiniteWP is on a freemium model. (In other words, basic features are free, but you’ll need to pay for other feature upgrades such as auto-scheduling of WordPress site backups.)
Below is a video by the creators of InfiniteWP that will give you an idea of what the tool looks like:
InfiniteWP Free Features
The basic features of InfiniteWP are basic indeed, but they’re also pretty handy, and so many of us may not need the premium/paid features this plugin has. The basic features include the following:
- One-click updates for the latest version of WordPress
- Install and manage themes
- Install and manage plugins
- The ability to restore, download, and delete backups
InfiniteWP Premium Features
There are currently six available premium features available (with three more in the works). These are the currently available addons:
- Install WordPress
- Clone a WordPress installation
- Schedule automated backups
- Back up to repositories
- Manage WordPress users
- Save and run custom PHP code on multiple sites
- Brand the InfiniteWP plugin with your company name or hide the plugin altogether
The premium addons currently in the works are the following:
- Integration with Google Analytics
- Manage posts and comments on multiple sites
- Bulk create Posts, Pages, and Links