Building an eCommerce website may sound like a difficult task, but it can actually be quite simple and intuitive. If you have the right tools, you can have your online shop up and running in no time! And Wix has all the tools you need for the job.
Here’s a simple guide on how to create an eCommerce website, the easy way.
Step #1: Research
Before you launch your online shop, make sure you look around on the net and see what kind of competition you’re dealing with. What are similar stores doing right and what are they doing wrong? It will help you understand how your business can stand out, what are your competitors’ weak spots and what are their advantages.
Step #2: Choosing a Template
Wix has many eCommerce templates for you to choose from – both in HTML5 or Flash. When you look for the perfect template for your website, consider these points:
- Style: Are you looking for a vintage look? A minimalist design to match your products? A professional cut maybe? Choose the template that has the closest style to what you have in mind.
- Colors: If your brand already has distinct colors, go with a template that matches or compliments these colors.
- Layout: Which template can display your products in the most appealing way? Would you like the homepage to be the store itself? Do you need a layout that has space for deals and discounts? How do you want the navigation menu to look like? Different templates have different layouts and you can choose the best one for you!
Step #3: Editing & Customizing
The best part about working with a Wix eCommerce template is that it is so easy to customize. Simply click on all elements in the Wix editor to edit them. You can change the texts, background image, fonts, contact information and more.
Of course, the most important part is customizing the store itself. As store manager you can:
- Add several images for each product
- Set displayed currency and weight units
- Add a choice of colors and sizes
- Write a full product description (overview and details)
- Manage inventory and available stock
- Add ribbons and badges for special announcements (sale, new, out of stock)
- Split your products into different categories
- And plenty more!