Throughout history, while experts have been discovering how our world works, other “un-experts” have been continually doubting them every step of the way.
Let’s take a look at the “Flat Earth” theory as an example of extreme doubting:
- Everyone thought the earth was flat until Pythagoras proved that the earth was round in 6th century B.C.
- It took another couple hundred years for anyone to actually believe him (Aristotle finally convinced them to believe in it).
- Over the next two thousand years many parts of the world still considered the earth to be flat.
But here’s the kicker: In 1956, Samuel Shenton started a “Flat Earth” conspiracy group that grew to over 3,000 members by the 1970′s.
The “Flat Earth” theory had been disproven mathematically, astronomically, and scientifically, but some people still didn’t believe that the Earth was a sphere even though when we had already put humans on the moon.
A great lesson can be learned from this story…
THERE WILL ALWAYS BE DOUBTERS
There will always be doubters when you are trying to learn how to do something new, become the world’s best at something, or take a big risk.
When you come across doubters, there are only two options for what to do:
- Get discouraged and quit.
- Prove them wrong.
If you want to be an expert you’ll need to prove people wrong.
- You have to dream big to make it to the top.
- Start a blog and show people you know what you’re talking about.
- Realize you don’t have to be the best to be an expert.
Once you understand that there will always be people that are supportive of what you are doing and people that will hate on every minute of it, you can decide to keep moving forward and get good at things.
This mindset shift is a major part of success. If you can ignore all the haters and focus on continual progress, you’ll be better off than the majority of people trying to do what you are doing.
Ask yourself the hard questions: Who are the doubters in your life? Are they even real people or do you create hypothetical people in your mind?
Let’s us know in the comments what doubters are keeping you from and how you are going to prove them wrong.