36 Tips to Build An Explosive Brand Using ONLY Social Media

A few random thoughts in no particular order. Hopefully you will find some of them useful. At the very least, they may kick-start some interesting conversations within your own company…

1. Facebook applications still work. I’ve seen spends as little as $10,000 generate over 5m hits when targeted properly.
2. 300,000 people join Twitter everyday. If you’ve not got a “conversation strategy“, get one!
3. FourSquare WILL be huge. Plan to use it alongside your next event, festival or product launch.
4. The biggest website for 2011 will be http://search.twitter. Find out where your customers are and talk to them.
5. You should be on Google Blog search everyday, interacting with customers in your industry and leaving comments on their blogs.
6. Become friends of EVERY Facebook fan page relevant to your brand. (And then find something relevant and interesting to say).
7. The fastest growing brands tweet between 20-30 times per day. (That’s only a lot of tweets if you’ve got nothing good to say).
8. If you don’t know what to tweet about – Trendsmap is a good place to start for high-traffic keywords.
9. The worlds biggest brands (like Coca-Cola) have up to 30 times more traffic on Facebook than they do on their own website.
10. Use the 80/20 rule. 80% leaving comments and remarks everywhere / 20% generating your own content.


A few random thoughts in no particular order.  Hopefully you will find some of them useful.  At the very least, they may kick-start some interesting conversations within your own company…

  1. Facebook applications still work. I’ve seen spends as little as $10,000 generate over 5m hits when targeted properly.
  2. 300,000 people join Twitter everyday. If you’ve not got a “conversation strategy“, get one!
  3. FourSquare WILL be huge. Plan to use it alongside your next event, festival or product launch.
  4. The biggest website for 2011 will be http://search.twitter. Find out where your customers are and talk to them.
  5. You should be on Google Blog search everyday, interacting with customers in your industry and leaving comments on their blogs.
  6. Become friends of EVERY Facebook fan page relevant to your brand. (And then find something relevant and interesting to say).
  7. The fastest growing brands tweet between 20-30 times per day. (That’s only a lot of tweets if you’ve got nothing good to say).
  8. If you don’t know what to tweet about – Trendsmap is a good place to start for high-traffic keywords.
  9. The worlds biggest brands (like Coca-Cola) have up to 30 times more traffic on Facebook than they do on their own website.
  10. Use the 80/20 rule. 80% leaving comments and remarks everywhere / 20% generating your own content.
  11. “Branded Content” is the fastest growing area within social media, but be careful not to take advantage.
  12. Remember that social media is one big conversation – it is not a sales tool.
  13. Twitter is like “word-of-mouth on steroids”. It can be the saviour of your customer service / customer retention (or the death of it if not policed carefully).
  14. Make sure all your marketing is mobile friendly. By the end of 2011, two-thirds of all on-line searches will be from a mobile device.
  15. Unhappy customers love bitching to their friends on social media, but companies who respond well have the opportunity to create a “loyal customer for life”.
  16. If you are the public face of your business, make sure that your “personal brand” is managed just as well as your companies brand.
  17. Google yourself every week and check your “digital footprint”. It’s not vanity, it’s reputation management.
  18. Did I mention that social media on its own is not a sales tool? If you treat it like one, your reputation will suffer.
  19. Promoted videos on YouTube only work for Disney.  If your content is good enough, people are more likely to share it if it’s NOT promoted.
  20. Promoted tweets work even less. Don’t under-estimate your customers.
  21. Good content will always find a way to get read. It might take time, but every great idea has a tipping point.
  22. Don’t get too hung up on Alexa rankings. 500 people who care are more important than 500,000 who don’t.
  23. ROI? In social media, “Return-on-Interactions” is more important than “Return-on-Investment”.
  24. Measurement tools like Sprout Social are brilliant for monitoring the success of your social media ROI, to see what’s working and what isn’t.
  25. Pay-Per-Click will only make money for Google, not you. It’s a good short-term solution if your pockets are deep enough, but don’t let it be part of your normal marketing budget.
  26. The more people who link to your websites, the more Google will love you. The secret of SEO success is incoming links, so build partnerships with everyone you can.
  27. Do not pay for SEO unless you haven’t got time to do the leg work yourself. SEO is not a complicated science or a dark-art. Learn it yourself.
  28. Do NOT get interns to build your brand on-line. Yes they are cheap, but they are the public face of your company. Get educated, inspired and passionate people representing you even if it costs you.
  29. Be involved in EVERY social media platform you are physically able to. If your potential customers are there, so should you be.
  30. If you don’t know where else to start, download this FREE Social Media Map from Overdrive!
  31. WineLibraryTV is now worth $60m but it was launched with no budget whatsoever and a hand-held flipcam. It isn’t expensive to launch your own TV channel. Just look at the success of Will It Blend!
  32. Why pay expensive recruitment agency fee’s when the best people can easily be found on LinkedIn?
  33. Over half the planet is under the age of 30 and they’ve never known life without Google. Employ as many as you can! They will be the ones that use existing technology to launch the next big thing.
  34. Google’s Keywords generator is a great way to generate tags and find what words to use, if you are searching for content to comment on.
  35. Read these 50 Tips for Using Twitter for Business by Chris Brogan
  36. And then read 50 Power Twitter Tips!

About Jeremy Waite

Jeremy Waite is the author of ‘Sex, Brands & Rock’n’Roll”, a marketing consultant for several global brands and a columnist for Entrepreneur Magazine. He splits his time between Manchester and London where he teaches the next generation of business leaders

Autor: Gabriel Catalano - human being | (#IN).perfección®

Lo importante es el camino que recorremos, las metas son apenas el resultado de ese recorrido. Llegar generalmente significa, volver a empezar!